The Tokyo Paralympics 2020 have finally come to an end and with that, India’s Golden run at the games have also ended. India Para athletes have won a total of 19 medals. To put that into perspective, from the inaugural Paralympics in 1968 to 2016, India managed to win just 12 medals in total, but his edition saw Indians winning 19 medals out of which 5 are gold, 8 are silver and the rest are bronze.
Let’s have a look at the medalists.
- Avani Lekhara- Shooting, R2 Women’s 10 m AR Standing SH1
- Sumit Antil- Javelin Throw, Men’s F64
- Manish Narwal- Shooting, P4 Mixed 50 m Pistol SH1
- Pramod Bhagat- Badminton, Men’s Single SL3
- Krishna Nagar- Badminton, Men’s Single SH6
- Bhavnaben Patel- Table Tennis, Women’s Class 4
- Nishad Kumar- High Jump, Men’s T47
- Yogesh Kathuniya- Discuss Throw, Men’s F56
- Devendra Jhajharia- Javelin Throw, Men’s F46
- Mariyappan Thangavelu- High Jump, Men’s T42
- Singhraj Adhana- Shooting, P4 Mixed 50m Pistol SH1
- Praveen Kumar- High Jump, Men’s T64
- Suhas Yathiraj, Badminton, Men’s Single SL4
- Sundar Singh Gurjar- Javelin Throw, Men’s F46
- Singhraj Adhana- Shooting, P1 Men’s 10m Pistol AP
- Sharad Kumar- High Jump, Men’s T42
- Avani Lekhara- Shooting, Women’s 50 m Rifle 3P SH1
- Harvinder Singh- Archery, Men’s Individual Recurve
- Manoj Sarkar- Badminton, Men’s Single SL3
India sent a contingent of 54 para-athletes out of which 15 were successful in winning a medal and two athletes- Avani Lekhara and Singhraj Adhana won 2 medals each. This means that a whopping 31% of athletes returned to India as medalists. At the medal tally, India stands at the 24th position at the end of the games.
The games have now come to an end and yesterday was the closing ceremony of the games. Avani Lekhara was the flagbearer for India at the closing ceremony of the games.